Hugh Neff, multiple Iditarod and Yukon Quest veteran, was the first to leave the Nikolai checkpoint at 16:47:00.
At the close of Tuesday, March 10th, the current Top 10 lineup is listed as follows: Hugh Neff, Aaron Burmeister, Sebastian Schnuelle, Paul Gebhardt, Lance Mackey, Jeff King, Ken Anderson, Ed Iten, Mitch Seavey & Hans Gatt.
All have strong teams of 13-15 dogs.
The next checkpoint is McGrath which is 54 miles from Nikolai. The trail crosses many lakes and swamps, and is relatively easy for most mushers. Expect the first mushers to arrive at McGrath during the first few hours of Wednesday.
- Hans Gatt Scratches from the 2009 Yukon Quest
- Kleedehn Continues to Lead 2009 Yukon Quest
- Sebastian Schnuelle Wins 2009 Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race
- Preparing For the Yukon Quest Trail Ahead
- The 2009 Iditarod Sled Dog Race – And So It Begins