NOME, ALASKA –March 15, 2009– Two- time Iditarod Champion Lance Mackey is the first to arrive at the Gold Coast community of Unalakleet. Mackey (Bib # 47) arrived in Unalakleet this afternoon at 3:10 pm Alaska Time (March 15, 2009) with 15 dogs. The distinction of being the first to make it to the Norton Sound village of Unalakleet netted Mackey the Wells Fargo “Gold Coast” Award.
The Wells Fargo Gold Coast Award includes a beautiful gold cup and $2,500 in gold nuggets. Mackey was presented the award and the gold nuggets by Scott Johnson, Nome Business Relationship Manager, Tracy Cooper, Unalakleet Community Agent and Dave Cunningham, Unalakleet Advisory Board Member.
Unalakleet is strategically located on the coast of Norton Sound, just north of the Unalakleet River. There are only six more checkpoints remaining between Unalakleet and the burled arch of Nome.
The award will be re-presented to Mackey in Nome on Sunday, March 22nd, during the Iditarod Awards Banquet.
- Mackey Is The First To Reach Iditarod Gold
- Lance Mackey First To Yukon – Awarded With Eight Course Banquet
- Burmeister First Into McGrath & Wins Spirit of Alaska Award
- 2008 ESPY Award Evades Mackey
- Jason Mackey Scratches from 2009 Yukon Quest